To make them special?
To disrupt or change normal life?
To taste dishes from other places?
I submit the real reason is that our why isn't big enough, strong enough, or important enough to us.
What is your why?
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
1 Cor. 3:16, 17
|Enjoy different flowers on your trip|
Why do you want to live healthy, lose weight, exercise?
The need to lose weight isn't a laughing matter though many treat it as such. Bible-based churches attract with food more often than prayer. I'm not suggesting that having a pot luck or dinner at church is wrong, but I'm saying that shouldn't be our emphasis. Any compulsion, whether it's to overeat or stick a needle in a vein, defiles the body (God's temple).
When was the last time the church offered a class on gossip or a study on how to gamble? Yet, we trot out our richest cakes and most luscious pies. We offer donuts to an overweight evangelist when he or she is trying to please God with healthy eating.
This may be where I lose a lot of you. Please if you fall on the other side of this controversy, let me know. I want to hear from you.
I can only tell my own experience. Losing weight is a problem requiring physical, mental, and spiritual changes.
|Look for strange sights to get your mind off food|
A diet focuses on the physical, what we eat, how much we exercise, what foods we avoid.
Visualizing, goal-setting, and support groups take care of our need for mental growth.
How do we fix the spiritual element?
Only God can fix us spiritually.Our job is to keep the lines of communication open.
Back to my original question. If the Lord is guiding us into healthier choices to keep His temple clean and useful for His purposes, why should that effort be suspended for vacation.
1. Find other ways to make trips special. Tours, friends, intimacy with loved ones, or even a one time treat of food.
2. Normal life is already suspended. Nothing you're doing on a trip is the same. Using this premise could mean we should also stop being a Christian because that's our normal life.
3. By all means, try out different dishes from other states or countries. An occasional few bites of baklava will not end our weight loss. It's the constant overeating compulsion that throws us off track.
4. Pray more than usual for guidance. Spend quiet time in the mountains or on the beach drawing nigh unto Your Creator.
5. Add extra exercise to your "out of the ordinary" routine.
6. Remember, God loves you. You are special. Take care of you.
|Meet new friends. Use your mouth for talking.|
Because God reigns. He controls you. You are His.